College Now Eligibility Requirements
Participation in College Now is open to NYCDOE public high school students, including registered home schooled students and students with disabilities who attend approved NY State Department of Education non-public schools.
What Eligibility Requirements Do Students Have to Meet in Order to Participate in College Now College Credit Courses?
College-Credit Eligibility Requirements
In order to be eligible to enroll in most college-credit courses, high school students must be in the 11th or 12th grades and meet the same college readiness benchmarks as undergraduate students. GPA (grade point average) may also be taken into account in determining eligibility.
- For a math class or class with math prerequisite:
- 70 or better on New York State Regents Examinations in Algebra 1 or Geometry OR 65 or higher on Algebra 2
- 530 or better on SAT math section
- ACT Math score of 21 or higher
- For all other classes:
- 75 or better on English Language Arts (ELA) Regents
- 480 or better on SAT Evidence-Based reading and writing section
- ACT English score of 20 or higher
*Some programs consider students qualified if they have earned a GPA of 85 or better (calculated after completion of 4 semesters of high school).
- Certain College Now programs may offer a limited number of gateway courses, college-credit courses available for students that may not yet meet college-readiness benchmarks.
- Though most College Now programs follow a standard set of guidelines, requirements vary from campus to campus.
- For instance, some courses may require even higher scores and/or sitting for a placement exam.
- In general, the best way to learn about qualifications for a specific course in a College Now program is to contact your high school’s CN liaison or CN staff at the college offering the course.
Please visit the College Credit Page at this link for more specific information about college-credit course requirements and offerings.
What Eligibility Requirements Do Students Have to Meet in Order to Participate in College Now Pre-College Activities?
Pre-College Eligibility Requirements (excluding College Focus (COFO)
Most College Now programs follow a set of general eligibility guidelines for pre-college courses. But it is important to remember that requirements vary by campus and by course.
The range of requirements are listed below you can take a pre-college course if you have met at least one of the benchmarks below:
- have a good attendance record;
- have a minimum high school GPA of between 65 and 80;
- score between 65 and 75 on an appropriate Regents exam;
- for ESL courses, score at the Intermediate ESL level;
- earn a PSAT or SAT score the college considers acceptable
- The best way to learn about qualifications for a specific course at a campus is to contact your high school’s CN liaison or CN staff at the college offering the course.