Are you considering a career in public service? Are you focused on developing or sharpening your leadership, critical-thinking and public speaking skills? Then check out the Model New York City Council Project.
Each fall, the Model New York City Council Project gives College Now students the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to assume the role of a New York City Council Member and represent one of the legislative districts in the five boroughs. Participating in the program allows you to experience city government and public administration from the inside; and our faculty mentors guide you through what it means to be an active member of city government.
At the conclusion of the fall workshop series, participants will get the chance to put their knowledge and experience to use as the Model City Council members debate and vote on a piece of real life legislation in the City Council Chambers at City Hall. Afterwards, students are invited to celebrate their accomplishments and meet elected City Council members at a reception hosted by CUNY.
Program Eligibility Requirements
This program is open to NYC public high school students who:
- will be Juniors or Seniors in the fall
- have College Now experience (ie. currently enrolled or have completed at least one (1) College Now course or workshop)
Click here to download the Model City Application for 2013.
Model City Council Schedule for 2013
(*All training sessions will take place at the Stella and Charles Guttman Community College in midtown Manhattan)
- Session 1 – November 2, 11:00AM– 4:00PM. Topics: Project introduction & orientation; Functions of Legislators; Pluralism & Democracy in New York City; Introduction to Public Speaking
- Session 2 – November 9, 11:00AM– 4:00PM. Topics: Legislative process in New York City; Review of Council Districts & Committees; Role of Leadership & Constituent Functions in the NYC Council; Introduction to Legislative Issue; Developing public speaking skills.
- Session 3 – November 16, 11:00AM– 4:00PM. Topics: Council-Mayor/Agency relations; Community Boards & Advocates; Discussion of Legislative issue; Committee Referral & Review of Legislative Intro; Legislative Alternatives (amendments) introduced & debated; Public Committee Hearings & Public Testimony; Final introductions reported; Planning & Preparation for Model Stated Council Meeting (i.e., review floor procedures & etiquette).
- Model City Council Meeting & Reception – Saturday, November 23, 10:00AM-5:00PM (*location City Hall, downtown Manhattan)