The NYCSEF application forms are available for download - COMPLETE SET
Please refer to the NYCSEF RULES & GUIDELINES for complete information.
Please refer to the Online Application FAQs for more information about registering your project online.
Breakdown of all forms
REQUIRED FORMS FOR ALL PROJECTS:
NYCSEF_Signature Page | Acknowledgment of Participation from student, parent/guardian, teacher, and principal.
Student & Project Information| Template for basic student information and project outline/information
Team Information| Template for team member information FOR TEAM PROJECTS
Checklist for Adult Sponsor(1) | To be completed by the Adult Sponsor in collaboration with the student researcher.
Student checklist 1A | Basic student checklist
NYCSEF Project Summary 2014 | Required before you begin your experimentation
Abstract_2014 | To be completed after your experimentation
Approval Form (1B) | Basic approval required for each student, including team members
Remember you must also write a Research Paper for submission with your application. Refer to pg. 4 in the NYCSEF RULES and GUIDELINES for more information.
SUPPLEMENTAL FORMS THAT MAY BE REQUIRED FOR YOUR PROJECT:
Regulated Research Institutional Form (1C) | Required for any research conducted at a regulated research institution or work site other than home, school or field. To be completed after experimentation.
Qualified Scientist (2) | May be required for research involving human subjects, vertebrate animals, potentially hazardous biological agents, and DEA-controlled substances. To be completed before experimentation.
Risk Assessment Form (3) | Required for projects using hazardous chemicals, activities or devices and microorganisms exempt from pre-approval. To be completed before experimentation.
Human Participants (4) | Required for research involving human participants. IRB approval required before experimentation.
Vertebrate Animal (5A) | Required for research involving vertebrate animals that is conducted in a school/home/field. SRC approval required before experimentation.
Vertebrate Animal (5B) | Required for research involving vertebrate animals that is conducted at a Regulated Research Institution. IACUC approval required before experimentation.
Potentially Hazardous Biological Agents Form 6A | Required for research involving microorganisms, rDNA, fresh/frozen tissue (including primary cell lines, human and other primate established cell lines and tissue cultures), blood, blood products and body fluids. SRC/IACUC/IBC approval required before experimentation.
Human and Vertebrate Animal Tissue Form (6B) | For research involving fresh/frozen tissue, blood, blood products and body fluids. Must also complete PHBA Form (6A).
Continuation/Research Progression Form (7) | Required for projects that are a continuation in the same field of study as a previous project.
IMPORTANT – Changes and Modifications for 2013-2014
The following are the major changes and modifications to the rules and guidelines for the 2014 NYCSEF. It is recommended that students and associated adults review the appropriate rules and guidelines as it relates to the specific research project.
- For ALL PROJECTS – All applications must be submitted online. Hardcopies of all necessary forms (including two copies of the research paper) must be postmarked by December 13, 2013. Late submissions will NOT be accepted.
- Rules & Guidelines, Potentially Hazardous Biological Agents (PHBAs)
- The origin of all primary cell lines must be reported on form 6A and accompanied by supporting documentation:
- For purchased cell lines- a letter from the mentor which states the ATCC/catalog number, type of cell line and date of purchase
- For cell lines not purchased- a copy of the IBC approval which includes the origin of the cell line and date of IBC approval
- For microorganisms purchased for the study, SRC approval is required and documentation must be attached.
2. Students are prohibited from culturing CRE (Carbapenem Resistant Enterobacteriacae)
- Added studies with microbial fuel cells to the list of PBHA studies requiring Form 3
- Added the following studies to the list of PHBA studies exempt from SRC review
- Studies of mushrooms and amoebozoa (slime mold)
- Studies of water and soil not concentrated in the media conducive to their growth
- Hazardous Chemicals, Activities or Devices
- Expanded guidance on use of Radiation
- Form Changes
- Changed the title of Form 7 to “Continuation/Research Progression Projects Form”
- The earth science category had been combined with environmental science.
- 13Dec2013 NYCSEF Application Deadline
- 02Mar2014 NYCSEF Preliminary Round @ The City College of New York
- 25Mar2014 NYCSEF Finals Round @ The American Museum of Natural History
- 27Mar2014 NYCSEF Awards Ceremony @ The Kaye Playhouse Theatre-Hunter College
- 11May2014 International Science & Engineering Fair Week in Los Angeles
NYCSEF Online Registration is now OPEN. Applications are due Friday, December 13, 2013.