- This summer you can study with an experienced sea captain, learning how to operate and navigate a boat and sail the waters of New York harbor and Long Island Sound!
- Along the way, visit professionals working in the field as you explore the various career options that exist at sea. There is some of that dry-land classroom stuff...but you get four transferable college credits for it. Ship ahoy!
ALL eligible students take the following class, in addition to required hands-on sailing instruction, tutoring, field trips and meeting professionals in the field.
MT 46: Coastal Piloting and Seamanship
This college-level course introduces students to nautical chart work, coastal piloting, and the principles of general seamanship. Coastal piloting topics include: the marine compass, nautical charts, piloting, tides and currents, position determination, navigational aids, and electronic navigation.
Monday through Thursday
9:00 AM - 3:30 PM
Metrocards and lunch vouchers provided
- Be a New York City public high school student, entering 11th or 12th grade in September 2015
- Students may have no more than two unexcused absences
- Graded quizzes, boat-handling demonstrations, and exams are mandatory
- Students must participate fully in all classes, trips, and other activities
For more information on this program contact Kingsborough Community College's College Now staff.